The Internet Peering VLAN is an Ethernet based Unicast service, enabled to support both IPv4 and IPv6 natively. The peering service is monitored 24x7 by the DC74 Data Centers NOC.
- 1 Gbit/s "GE" (1000BaseSX, 1000BaseLX)
- 10 Gbit/s "10GE" (10000BaseLR, 10000BaseER)
- Multiple links of the above
- Provisioning of non-blocking 1 GE or 10 GE port.
- IPv4 and/or IPv6 (native)
- sFlow traffic and analysis reporting per customer on IP and AS level
- One IPv4 address (1 per port) and IPv6 out of the prefix that is in use on the CLTIIX infrastructure.
- PTR RR record in primary DNS for the in-addr.arpa mapping of the CLTIIX IPv4 prefix.
- PTR RR record(s) in primary DNS for the .ip6.arpa mapping of the CLTIIX IPv6 prefix.
Service Level & Responsibilities
- CLTIIX delivers a service from the port to the patch panel.
- CLTIIX is responsible for correct functioning of the CLTIIX infrastructure between its switches.
- The customer is responsible for peerings and correct functioning of its own network.
- The customer is responsible for the necessary cabling between their router and the CLTIIX switch panel at the colocation. CLTIIX is available to assist with this.
- The DC74 Data Centers Network Operations Center (NOC) actively monitors the CLTIIX infrastructure 24x7. Problems can be reported to the NOC, which operates and can be contacted 24x7.
CLTIIX uses cutting edge Brocade switches to create a resilient, secure and highly scalable switching infrastructure. CLTIIX currently offers 1Gb and 10Gb Ethernet connections with 40Gb planned for the future.
For Exchange participants who have adopted an open peering policy, CLTIIX offers open peering route servers. CLTIIX route servers provide instant access to all participant’s prefixes announced to the exchange.
Allowed Traffic Types on Unicast Peering LANs
Important: The CLTIIX NOC reserves the right to disable ports that violate the rules below.
To ensure smooth operation of the CLTIIX infrastructure we impose a set of restrictions on what kind of traffic is allowed on the peering fabric. This page gives a summary of those restrictions.
- Physical Connection
- Interface settings
- 1Gb and 10Gb Ethernet interfaces attached to CLTIIX ports must be explicitly configured with speed, duplex other configuration settings. CLTIIX does not support auto negotiation.
- MAC Layer
- Ethernet framing
- CLTIIX only supports 802.3 Ethernet standards.
- Ethernet types
- Frames forwarded to CLTIIX ports must have one of the following EtherTypes:
- 0x0800 - IPv4
- 0x0806 - ARP
- 0x86dd - IPv6
- One MAC address per port
- Frames forwarded to an individual CLTIIX port shall all have the same source MAC address.
- No proxy ARP
- Use of proxy ARP on the router's interface to the Exchange is not allowed.
- Unicast only
- Frames forwarded to CLTIIX ports shall not be addressed to a multicast or broadcast MAC destination address except as follows:
- Broadcast ARP packets
- Multicast ICMPv6 Neighbor Discovery packets. Note: Router Advertisement/Solicitation must be disabled.
- No link-local traffic
- Traffic for link-local protocols shall not be forwarded to CLTIIX ports.
- Link-local protocols include, but are not limited to, the following list:
- IRDP ICMP redirects
- IEEE 802 Spanning Tree
- Vendor proprietary protocols. These include, but are not limited to:
- Discovery protocols: CDP, EDP, FDP, etc.
- VLAN/trunking protocols: VTP, DTP
- Interior routing protocol broadcasts (e.g. OSPF, ISIS, IGRP, EIGRP)
- ICMPv6 ND-RA
- L2 Keepalives
- The following link-local protocols are exceptions and are allowed:
- IPv6 ND - Router Advertisements/Solicitation (RA) must be disabled
- IP Layer
- No directed broadcast
- IP packets addressed to CLTIIX peering LAN's directed broadcast address shall not be automatically forwarded to CLTIIX ports.
- IP addressing
- no-export of CLTIIX peering LAN
- IP address space assigned to CLTIIX Peering LANs shall not be advertised to other networks without explicit permission of CLTIIX.
Q & A
For Frequently Asked Questions on Internet Peering please refer to the Q&A page on DrPeering.net.